Can You Be OK With It?
There is no mass-produced human.
Money doesn’t grow on trees and as
soon as you spend it, it’s gone.
Trees and brick walls and snowflakes
don’t change but for us they do depending on who’s watching them.
One size doesn’t fit all
and sometimes sizes don’t fit at all.
When our hands meet they say something
different than they did yesterday and something better than when they hung
empty.
But sometimes empty is better filled
with “I” and not “you” for now
and maybe my pen will just write words
to America.
To me and my great-granddaughter who
will have forgotten space and earth smells because her parents forgot to
tell her.
Sometimes a smile isn’t happy and
tears bring the sweetest moments.
Sometimes I want my muted colors and
lace-up boots
and sometimes I want my t-shirt
but what I really want is air that you
can breathe and say, that is the world coming alive, and bare feet in grass and
flying over the pool noodle.
We all have hard white walls and
someone can push and push and we stay cool and firm, but poke us a certain way
and they fall through the walls because they’ve shattered us.
And when you shatter their shell it
feels good because you see their love and hate and it doesn’t fit anymore
because those hard white walls were
what everyone else thinks
and everyone else doesn’t care about
love and hate-
they let you be with your walls.
But I care
and I’ve broken my walls for you and
you can see my delight and fear, see through me like the glistening pool around
my dreams and trials, the bright yellow core of me that takes ages to swim
through.
But I care.
I don’t want white walls because
they’re all the same.
I want cracks in people’s conformity,
cracks like fingerprints ‘cause they’re never the same.
You two can like the same song but
chances are
when you open your mouth it will come out different
when you sing
it because your hurt is different,
your veins carry different poison,
and your mouth speaks different hope.
The problem is that we can never
understand because there’s no mass-produced fear or joy or revenge.
Love can
mean a billion things and we come close to knowing what your love means
but we
can’t get there because it’s yours.
So I can hold your hand and hear your
words and watch you fall over
but you are you and I can’t enter your
world, nor you mine.
So we cry and scream and triumph
uniquely alone, but up, up
our words mean the right thing and our
joy is understood
exactly as we live it.
Because there is no mass-produced
human.
Because you cut that tree down and I want to climb it and both are OK.
Because we leave fingerprints that say
I was here.
My feet walked and my mouth let my
brain communicate and when I left
it
was better.
Olivia Madsen
February 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment