Sunday, August 11, 2013

In other words...

This one's for your heart, boy.
'Cause I'm giving it back to you, but I want you to know that I'm not returning it due to stains, broken parts, or malfunctions while in use.
It was too much.
It was too much so I'm giving it back so that someone else will find it and be blissfully in love.
                   Because, really, that's all you deserve.
And people have written songs and poems and books about it, but it won't be right 'till you hear it from me-

I just can't do this.

And I'm sorry for every letter typed, word spoken, muscle motion that told you otherwise.
I thought, maybe, I could.
But things never go as you plan and so I'm breaking this-
and it will shatter; I know that.
But I promise you deserve more than what you're getting-something tells me you know it, too. And you don't deserve to get hurt like this but I'd rather this than hurting you infinitely worse by keeping my mouth shut.
You told me you wanted this.
            Truth.
It's supposed to set you free.
Free, you say? Free?
That's a crappy word for hell.
But this isn't a band-aid I can rip off quickly and the pain dies in seconds. Really, it's a heart bursting.
               And bursting hearts? 
                                They HURT.
So take your time. It's all yours. Emotion, time, forgiveness,
I'm not expecting any of it now-be hurt.
Cry and scream and hate and wonder and ask and regret and grasp for the past...
but know, when you're there hurting,

                       know that I know.

And know that that's what makes this hard.
Because we're coming in a circle here, but don't you see?
This is the worst, because
                    You don't deserve this.
But everything I just told you you already know, and somehow, I thought by telling you I could ease the pain, but time's the only thing for that.
So take your time and take your tears and I honestly, truly wish for the clouds to clear and the sun to smile and for you to find somewhere along the way a girl who will fall in love with you deeper than you ever imagined.
Because really, you don't deserve anything less.

1 comment:

  1. "Know that I know"
    "That's a crappy word for hell"
    Summed the situation up beautifully- and it made sense to this poetry illiterate friend :)

    ReplyDelete